Top 8 ways to improve the security of Facebook account: We already know Facebook is one of the most popular social networking websites with million of users and still counting but there is a harsh reality behind it. Do you know each day thousands of hackers try to access your Facebook account?
Yes, it’s true that’s why it is necessary to take some safety measure to keep your FB account secure.
So, without wasting more time I am going to share “Top 8 ways to improve Facebook account security”.
Table of Contents
- 1 1. Update Password Regularly:
- 2 2. Add Phone Number:
- 3 3. Enable 2-Step Authentication
- 4 4. Remove untrusted apps and website, linked with your FB account
- 5 5. Activate alerts for unrecognized logins
- 6 6. Use VPN services to secure Facebook account on public wifi
- 7 7. Logout Facebook account from all devices
- 8 8. Block spam pages and Apps
1. Update Password Regularly:
If you want to protect your Facebook account from hacking attempts or unauthorized access then it is necessary to update the password on regular basis, make sure that your password is unique, strong and complex which is difficult to crack.
Here are the few basic Tips to create a strong password:
- Include both letters and numbers
- Use at least one uppercase and one lowercase letter
- Password must be at least 10-12 character long
- Use special symbol such as $,@,#etc
To update Facebook password just go to Account Settings << security and login<<change password
2. Add Phone Number:
Confirming your mobile number is the easiest way to strengthens Facebook account security. It also helps to recover old password in case you forget it.
- To add a phone number, Go to Settings <<Mobile and tap on “Add a phone “option.
- Enter your mobile number and confirm it by filling OTP (one-time password)
3. Enable 2-Step Authentication
It is another great security feature that helps to protect the Facebook account. After enabling this option whenever any user or hacker tried to log in your account on a new device then you get a notification with one-time password (OTP ) on your mobile phone, without entering it they can’t able to access your account.
To enable this feature you have to follow some simple steps, so let’s start.
- Go to “settings” and click on “secure and log in“.
- Under “setting up extra security” you can see an option ” Use two-factor authentication“
- Just, click on” setup”.
- Now, a pop-up window will appear on your screen, press “Enable” button and that’s it.
Nowadays, you may notice that most of the website and apps give direct Facebook login option, this feature is very handy for all of us because it doesn’t require to fill lengthy signup forms and saves our time, but sometimes after allowing access to untrusted source, we notice some suspicious activities on our facebook account, so in that case it is necessary to take immediate action and remove those spam applications to make FB account more secure .
- To start blocking spam apps or websites, just go to” settings”.
- Select “Apps” from the left menu
- Now, under “logged in with Facebook “option, you can see a name and profile pictures of those apps which are already connected with your FB account
- finally, choose spam or untrusted application from the list, click on “cross ” icon and give permission to remove it.
5. Activate alerts for unrecognized logins
It is one of the most important features which helps you to get notified about unrecognized login attempts, suppose if anyone attempts to log in your account from that device or browser which you usually don’t use then FB sends you an alert or notification regarding this issue.
Follow below steps to enable alerts for unrecognized login attempts
- Go to “Account Settings” and click on “security and log in”
- Under “setting up extra security” you will see an option ” get alerts about unrecognized logins”, just click on “Edit”
- Now select ” Get Notifications ” option to activate this feature ( you can also opt for email alerts)
- Finally, click on” save changes” button
6. Use VPN services to secure Facebook account on public wifi
Are you using FB on public wifi networks? if yes then there is a huge possibility that your account or login credentials get hacked …. yes, it’s true: public wifi connections are not secure and that’s why it is essential to use VPN services because it offers an extra security layer and encrypts your browsing data.
VPN( virtual private network) establish more secure connection between computer and server, such that no one can able to track your information such as IP address, location, passwords etc. The best thing is that many VPN services are almost free and compatible with different devices such as Windows, Android, Mac, IOS, and Linux. So I recommend you to choose any best VPN service and enjoy surfing Facebook without any worry.
7. Logout Facebook account from all devices
Do you forget to log out facebook account on your friends’ PC or in the cyber cafe?
If yes, then here is an ultimate solution for you, just follow below steps to log out facebook remotely from all devices.
- Go to settings<< “security and login” <<“where you’re logged in “
- Here you will see a list of devices with time and location where you logged in your account
- Just, click on three vertical dots located at the front of the device name and tap on “Logout”. that’s it.
Note: To end all active session in a single click, just scroll down the page and press on ” Logout of all sessions”.
8. Block spam pages and Apps
Here is another awesome feature through which you can able to block spam messages, pages, apps and invites. It is one of the ideal ways to avoid phishing links.
To restrict unwanted pages or apps, just go to “Setting “<<“Blocking”.
If you like this post then share it on social media and comment below regarding any query.